Master International Business
The study program „MBA International Business with Regional Focus“ is the answer of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at the Technical University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt (THWS) to the ever-growing demand from the labour market for managers and leaders with a sound academic education that has prepared them for working in today’s international business world. As English is the one global business language, the program is completely taught in English. The practical orientation of the program fits ideally with the concept of the German Universities of Applied Sciences. Graduates of this program are sought after by small and medium sized companies, large multi-national conglomerates as well as by other organizations (e.g. non-profit-organizations). The study program is offered in cooperation with the THWS’ Campus for Professional Development.
The objective of the MBA program International Business with Regional Focus is explained in Section 2 of the study and examination regulations:
”The advanced training Master’s International Business with Regional Focus at the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt aims at qualifying its students for leading positions in internationally active enterprises or equivalent organisations of all sizes. To this effect, management skills already acquired by the first higher education degree and subsequent work experience are deepened in order to improve the graduates’ career opportunities and/or lay the foundations for a new carrier orientation. By teaching all functional management areas, knowledge is broadened; by acquiring in-depth, application-oriented knowledge from all relevant management disciplines, professional, interdisciplinary and methodological competencies are built up. The focus here is consistently on the particular issues that arise in an international business environment. By choosing a geographical focus, students deal in depth with an economic area for which they acquire social skills in terms of culture, understanding and business conduct. The students are enabled to work independently on scientific projects and to carry out challenging projects in individual as well as group work and are thus also supported in their personal development.”
The most important features of the "MBA International Business with Regional Focus” are the following:
- The program is completely taught in English language.
- The program takes place in Würzburg.
- The program comprises 1,5 years (3 semesters), including the time needed to prepare the Master’s Thesis.
- Upon successful completion of the program, the degree Master of Business Administration (MBA) is awarded.
- Depending on the chosen Focus Region, the students are introduced to one of the dominant business languages of the respective Focus Region.
- Depending on the chosen Focus Region, the program includes a stay of ca. 3 weeks at a partner university in the respective Focus Region.
- The program comprises group outdoor activities of altogether ~1 week.
The program has a modular structure and altogether 90 credit points (CP) have to be achieved, that is 30 CP in each of the three semesters. Credit point is defined according to the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).
- 1 CP equals a workload of 25 hours.
- It is highly recommended that the students complete each module in the semester shown in below overview, as each module (except for the Master Thesis) is only offered once per study year. In case a retake is necessary, each exam is offered every semester however.
- The study plan, which is prepared for the students before the beginning of every semester, is based on the Module Handbook. Students are able to join the lectures without collisions in the respective semester. In case the Module Handbook allows for alternatives (e.g. concerning type of exams), the study plan also defines the alternative that is valid for the respective semester.
- One module might comprise two or more courses. The modules might have different workloads and thus CP.
- For each module, the total workload consists of two parts, while the split can differ between the modules:
- Attendance time: Lectures and all other meetings in the university guided by a lecturer. The attendance time is determined by (academic) hours per week during the semester (SWS). One academic hour equals 45 minutes and one semester has usually 15 weeks.
- Self-study time incl. exam preparation: Preparation for and post-processing of lectures. This might include reading literature, working on case studies, preparing presentations and preparing for the module exam.
The admission requirements are specified in detail in section 3 of the study and examination regulations. In brief, the admission requirements are as follows:
- In order to receive a Master degree, the students need to acquire 300 CP in total including previous studies. As the MBA International Business with Regional Focus offers 90 CP, 210 CP need to be acquired in previous studies of any subject.
- Being a non-consecutive program, the students need to prove at least 1 year of relevant and qualified professional experience gained after previous studies.
- Being taught completely in English, the students need to prove sufficient English language skills (B2 level or higher according to CEFR).
- The students need to document German language skills at A1 level or higher according to CEFR. However, those skills can be documented up to 12 months after start of studies.
2. Module Descriptions
On the following pages, each module is presented in a structured way. The modules are based on the Study and Examination Regulations as of 18 June 2019 in its latest version.
Doing Business in and with Focus Region
- Doing Business in and with Asia
- Doing Business in and with Europe
- Doing Business in and with Latin America
3. Study- and Examination Regulations Master Programme International Business
4. Satzung zur Änderung der Studien- und Prüfungsordnung Master IB (09.02.2022)
3. Satzung zur Änderung der Studien- und Prüfungsordnung Master IB (18.06.2021)
2. Satzung zur Änderung der Studien- und Prüfungsordnung Master IB (17.02.2021)
1. Satzung zur Änderung der Studien- und Prüfungsordnung Master IB (24.10.2019)
Studien- und Prüfungsordnung Master IB (18.06.2019)
4. Study Plan Master International Business
Note on accessibility:
The PDF documents deposited in this page area are not barrier-free. If you require assistance, please contact the Campus for Professional Development.