Freemovers are students who organise their stay abroad at a university of their choice independently, i.e. outside the university's mobility programmes. To support you, we have collected some information in the Mini-FAQ below:

Do I have to pay tuition fees as a freemover?

In contrast to our partner universities, there are usually tuition fees to be paid as a freemover - which you have to bear yourself. For more specific information on individual countries and tuition fees, please go to the Länderdatenbank (country data base) of the DAAD.

Where can I receive information on formalities and finance options?

For detailed information on necessary formalities and possible financing opportunities, please refer to the International Office.
The DAAD in particular offers a number of scholarships and an organisational overview.

Will I be able to transfer Credits as a freemover?

The fact that you attend university abroad as a freemover has no effect on the transfer of Credits. As long as you take courses which can be transferred to your curriculum at FHWS, these Credits will be recognised.

What do I need to do to ensure that my Credits will be recognised?

Even if you organise your stay abroad yourself, you need to fill in a Learning Agreement and register online at moveonline to ensure your Credits obtained abroad will be transferred. Please get in contact with the person responsible for the country of your choice.

Which universities can I attend as a freemover?

Technically, you can choose any university. Check the respective homepage in advance for any explicit information for freemovers (key words might be “study abroad”, “non-degree seeking students” or “occasional students”) or contact the university's International Office.

Who are my contact persons?

For any organizational issues, please contact our International Office (HSIN).
For academic issues, please contact the person responsible for the country of your choice.